Upchurch is twinned with the Commune of Ferques,
Pas de Calais, France
The idea of twinning with a French village was born out of the fact that an Upchurch resident also had a house in Ferques and commuted between the two on a weekly basis.
Several meetings and day trips to France later, the arrangement was formalised. We signed Charters in France in October 2006 and in England in March 2007. Both these occasions were suitably celebrated in style in Ferques and Upchurch.
The Charters that were signed in Upchurch on 3rd March 2007 are on display in St. Mary’s Church, together with gifts received from the people of Ferques on various occasions.
Many visits in both directions accross the English Channel have been made since then.
Holywell School is still fully involved with a visit every year in each direction, and also with the sustaining of pen friend links between pupils.
Aims and Objectives
• To develop a better understanding of each other’s cultures.
• To develop a better understanding of each other’s language.
• To further the education of all people of our two communities.
• To encourage social entertainment and sporting links between the two villages.
• To encourage exchanges between the school pupils of the two villages.
• To encourage links between people of all ages in our two villages.